|Please read this important information about Directed Ignatian retreats at Good Counsel Retreat House, Waverly.
You can self check-in at any time during the afternoon of your opening day, but please note there is no Mass or meal served on this day. The retreat officially begins with an orientation meeting at 7pm in the library; please be prompt. The retreat normally concludes with a shared meal at Noon on the last day.
What to bring:
- 8-day retreatants are to purchase The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius translated by Louis J. Puhl, S.J. (not required for 4-day)
- All the books by Fr. Timothy Gallagher OMV are excellent, but we particularly recommend Meditation and Contemplation on how to do an Ignatian prayer period (if you read that in advance you will be well prepared for the retreat).
- Bible and spiritual reading
- Notebook and pen
- Toiletries and shampoo
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes (there is an indoor treadmill/gym, but we encourage you to walk/exercise outside)
- Alarm clock
- Any medications you take (we also have some basics on hand)
Further optional suggestions:
- Night light (or flashlight)
- A sweater if you tend to get cold, or a fan if you tend to get hot
- There are laundry machines and soap is provided if needed
Plan ahead for silence: to make arrangements for anyone who might need to contact you in case of emergency, please give them the retreat house phone and email and we will pass on messages (402-786-2705, firstname.lastname@example.org). Consider fasting from electronics; e.g. if using a cell phone as a clock/alarm, you can keep it in airplane mode.
We have attached two additional documents, which can be accessed by clicking the buttons below.
- An Introduction to the Spiritual Exercises. This document will be provided and we will go over it during our opening meeting, particularly relevant are pages 5-12 (a brief summary of “Meditation and Contemplation” by Father Timothy Gallagher, OMV which I invite you to read if you want to learn more on the Ignatian method of meditating on Scripture.)
- A “Nuts and Bolts” to help you get to know Good Counsel Retreat House. If you read ahead of time and bring any questions, this will help expedite our intro meeting.